We make it harder than it should be to focus on being amazing.
We’re defiantly hard-headed about all the wrong things in life. And then we wonder why we aren’t getting the successful outcomes that we want for ourselves.
- When you fill your mind with hatred listening to incendiary words from pundits on radio or television, it is hard to focus on being amazing.
- When you fill your mind with fear by tuning in to negative economic prognostication, it is hard to focus on being amazing.
- When you fill your mind with jealousy by comparing what you don’t have with those who have more, it is hard to focus on being amazing.
- When you fill your mind with selfishness by only thinking about what is good for you, it is hard to focus on being amazing.
- When you fill your mind with arrogance by only listening to people who tell you that you’re doing it all right, it is hard to focus on being amazing.
Make no mistake.
Pain and fear and rage and doubt are natural emotions in a world torn apart by economic and personal disaster.
But they are not the mindsets of successful conquest. They only feed into the worst parts of your performance. They disable your capacity to rise beyond your limitations to achieve greatness.
- Avoiding pain might keep you alive. But it will also stop you from living.
- Fear will remind you how bad you might hurt. But it won’t help you heal.
- Doubt helps you avoid potential mistakes. But it, by itself, is a mistake.
- Anger will help you fight back. But it will also consume you.
So again, the idea of how to be successful comes back to a central idea. The battle for greatness lies not in what we do, but in who we are.
More specifically, what we allow our minds to think about.
It is your choice.
You can choose to let the vitriol and hateful opinions of those around you cripple your ability to be amazing. Or you can be hard-headed about being amazing. You can refuse to let fear and doubt and anger and pain inside your mind.
You can choose block out the worst parts of your primitive humanity and think about the destiny you want to create — and hard-headedly focus on being amazing.
Now that’s something to think about.