Being ordinary isn’t all that awful.
- Ordinary people go to college to get a degree in something they want to spend the rest of their life doing.
- Ordinary people get a job and work “9 to 5” in order to get their work done and rise through the corporate hierarchy.
- Ordinary people fall in love, get married, have 2.5 kids and coach weekend sports in hot sun.
- Ordinary people don’t do things the other people tell them are stupid.
- Ordinary people do what they are told to do and try not to make waves or get in trouble.
But the opposite to being ordinary is being awesome.
If you want to be anything other than ordinary, then you need to start by doing the things that ordinary people don’t do. You need to start working harder. Trying longer. Believing in things that no one else believes to be possible.
Ordinary people aren’t bad people, they just aren’t awesome.
So if you’re looking to do anything more than ordinary you probably need to decide to be comfortable looking like an idiot and sounding like a dreamer .
Because another way to say “awesome” is “extraordinary” — when ordinary people buck the system and go beyond what comes naturally to achieve the impossible.
The truth is that we all start off as ordinary people. Flesh and blood. That’s not a choice you have. That’s just how you are born.
Everything else is a choice.
Being awesome — being extraordinary — those are choices you make each day.
Don’t be fooled by what you are supposed to do or what you are supposed to say or what you are supposed to think. Nothing that you’re “supposed to do” will ever make you awesome. It will just keep you being ordinary.
So if you ever plan on doing something amazing, you have to choose to be something other than ordinary.
(That’s a decision you can make right now)